VPSAVirginia Peninsula Sportsmen's Association
2023 Contest InformationPast Contest Results
The VPSA founded the Virginia Big Game Contest in 1940. This contest was developed for the sole purpose of compiling information on Virginia’s Big Game for the citizens of the state. We hope that you are able to attend and participate in our show in the future.
The 84th Annual Bear, Deer, and Turkey Virginia Big Game Contest
Friday, August 4th – Sunday August 6th, 2023
- The 84th Annual Big Game Show will be held at State Fair Grounds in Doswell, Virginia.
- Contest will feature an Eastern/Western Regional and State Finals. A Historical category is included.
- Game will be scored using the Virginia Scoring System.
- Friday August 4th, entries will be accepted from 1-8PM.
- Saturday August 5th, entries will be accepted from 10AM – 3PM.
- Sunday August 6th, open 10AM – awards at 2PM.
- Ensure you have your horns, bear skull, or turkey beard, feet and certified weight card and DWR confirmation number
- $20 entry fee applies to all entires
- VPSA Members are allowed free entry and 3 free entries into the contest (except historical). VPSA membership is $20/annually.
The VPSA Scholarship
Submit Application by May 31st
The Virginia Peninsula Sportsmen’s Association (VPSA) Scholarship was established by the VPSA Board of Directors in 2022 to enable the next generation of sportsmen and women to further outdoor conservation efforts through their undergraduate study. VPSA will award one $500 scholarship annually.
About the VPSA
In 1940, the VPSA founded the oldest and most prestigious Big Game Contest in the state of Virginia.
VPSA members can participate in the annual Big Game Contest and receive periodic updates on hunting regulations.
We have step-by-step instructions on how to score your big game. These guidelines are used by officials during the contest.
Stay up to date on the VPSA Big Game Contest and other events sponsored by the organization.
Past Contest Results
Each year the VPSA compiles the contest results in order to determine the placing for each class. If you would like to see an archive of our past contest, or determine how well your trophy compares to past winners, visit page below.