VPSAVirginia Peninsula Sportsmen's Association
The VPSA founded the Virginia Big Game Contest in 1940. This contest was developed for the sole purpose of compiling information on Virginia’s Big Game for the citizens of the state. We hope that you are able to attend and participate in our show in the future.
The 85th Annual Bear, Deer, and Turkey Virginia Big Game Contest
Friday, August 2nd – Sunday August 4th, 2023
- The 85th Annual Big Game Show will be held at State Fair Grounds in Doswell, Virginia.
- Contest will feature an Eastern/Western Regional and State Finals. A Historical category is included.
- Game will be scored using the Virginia Scoring System.
- Friday August 2nd, entries will be accepted from 1-7PM.
- Saturday August 3trd, entries will be accepted from 10AM – 3PM.
- Sunday August 4th, open 10AM – awards at 3:00PM.
- Deer do not need to be mounted – Antlers on skull plate
- Bear citations require a clean bear skull
- Turkey citations require beard, feet and certified weight card – FROZEN ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!!!
- $20 entry fee applies to all entires
- VPSA Members are allowed free entry and 3 free entries into the contest (except historical). VPSA membership is $20/annually.
The VPSA Scholarship
Submit Application by May 31st
About the VPSA
VPSA members can participate in the annual Big Game Contest and receive periodic updates on hunting regulations.
We have step-by-step instructions on how to score your big game. These guidelines are used by officials during the contest.
Stay up to date on the VPSA Big Game Contest and other events sponsored by the organization.