1. BEARDED BIRDS ONLY.
2. TROPHY MUST HAVE BEEN LEGALLY HARVESTED IN HUNTING SEASON.
3. VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF GAME AND INLAND FISHERIES GAME TAG MUST BE PRESENTED WITH TROPHY ALONG WITH WEIGHT CERTIFICATION.
4. TROPHIES MUST BE ENTERED IN THE REGIONAL CONTEST FOR WHICH THEY ARE ELIGIBLE.
5. WEIGHT MUST BE VERIFIED AT A GAME CHECKING STATION AND CERTIFIED TO BE THE TRUE WEIGHT.
6. THE FOLLOWING SCORING SYSTEM WILL BE USED FOR TURKEY CITATIONS AND STATE CHAMPION.
WEIGHT - 1 pound equals 1 point. 1 ounce equals 1/16 point
BEARD - The beard must be measured from the point of protrusion of the first visible bristle from the skin to the opposite end of the longest bristle. In the event multiple beards exist, the measurement of the longest beard will be used for scoring (measure the longest beard). The length of the longest beard will be multiplied by 2 for the total score of the beard.
SPURS - Each spur must be measured to determine its longest straight or curved length from a point where the hard spur protrudes from the scaled leg skin to the tip of the spur. In the event multiple spurs exist, the measurement of the longest spur only on each leg will be used for scoring. The total length of the spur on the right leg will be multiplied by 10 to give you the score for the right spur. The same thing will be done with the left spur.
TOTAL SCORE - Add the weight score plus the beard score plus the spur score to determine the total score.
The following score sheet and diagrams below can be used to score your turkey
WEIGHT: lbs.______ oz.______ = _______
BEARD: ______ X 2 = _______
RIGHT SPUR: ______ X 10 = _______
LEFT SPUR: ______ X 10 = _______
TOTAL SCORE _______
Measuring the Beard
Measuring the Spurs